The holidays are officially over which means it’s time to take a look at this past year and what better review than to look at the books that accompanied though out it? My friends Kirsti and Emily both wrote their own versions of this so be sure to check them out. Onwards then!
1) How many books have you read this year?
24. Well I’m currently in book number 24 but I’m pretty sure I’ll finish it before New Years Eve. You can see the full list here. I realise this is a pathetically short list of books…but at least it’s more than last year.
2) What book surprised you the most?
The Hunger Games trilogy because I’m not a big fan of utopian stories in general and it took me a while to actually decide to read them because of it. But after I started reading I really liked the books to that was a surprise.
3) What book were you the most disappointed in?
The most disappointed, hmm, this sounds bad, but I’d have to go with The Book Thief. It came with raging reviews (and there is nothing bad about that) but it just wasn’t the right book for me.
4) Did you start any new series?
I’m not that into series because after a while it gets annoying or difficult to keep up with them especially when the releases are spread over many years. I started The Hunger Games, the Sherlock Holmes canon (which I had high hopes of finishing this year but after I got to my first case book I was so bored it’s still sitting beside my bed). Then I’m still reading a couple of series that have been going on for years, not sure if they count.
5) Did you finish any series?
The Hunger Games. Like I said, Sherlock Holmes was alright until I started The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Gaaahh.
6) What was your favorite book cover this year?
I really love the nerdiness of the newly released An Abundance of Katherines. It has footnotes and everything plus it was designed by nerdfighteria which is awesome in itself!!
7) What was the best non-fiction book you read?
I didn’t read any this year except some textbooks on aero dynamics and wind turbines for my thesis but those hardly count, do they?
8) What are you currently reading?
Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham. It’s really cute. Some actresses can sure do more than acting.
9) Any reading goals for 2014?
25 books? Lol, I don’t know, read more than this year.
10) What books are you looking forward to in 2014?
I don’t care much for new releases because I’m usually behind the times but as I got some books for Christmas I’m looking forward to reading those and also some from my never ending list of books to read. Here are some:
Arcadia by Lauren Groff
Attachements by Rainbow Rowell
Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle
Codename Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
11) What other books deserve a shout out?
2013 was the year I discovered John Green. I know I’m late to the party but OMG he is brilliant!! And with him came a bunch of other YA writers I had never cared to look at before because I though YA was boring and full of vampires. Silly me.
12) Your top 3 books of 2013.
Now this is hard, I sauce at ranking things but I’ll try.
Thanks for reading and now go and write your own list and link up with Emily here!